Sunday, August 16, 2009

Bend Had no Bumps


This was one of those trips. The kind that just seems too good to be true. Everything fell right into place, there wasn't one crisis, argument, or bump in the road. A lot of it had to do with my wonderful travel buddies who usually do all the planning and are so relaxed about traveling. The other part was our guardian angels watching over us to make sure we got the most relaxation and adventure possible. We're so blessed.

Marisa planned to run the half marathon in Bend a month ago. She's a teacher so she has the summer off. After returning from 2 weeks in Kauai, poor thing, she was going to drive up to Portland, stopping to camp and enjoy the long journey, then pick up Jill and head to Bend for the race. It didn't take much convincing for Kerry to join the trip a couple weeks later, she's always down for a LOLA adventure. So the 3 of them were Bound for Bend.

I of course had that tinge of envy and didn't want to miss a LOLA trip but felt that with my unemployment wage and lack of work for 6 months, I wasn't justified to take a vacation like that and certainly couldn't afford the plane ticket ($400 to Porland). I decided instead to do a solo trip to a Meditation Retreat I'd been wanting to do, at Deer Park Monastery. Well, it turned out the monastery was not allowing guests and I didn't find that out until a few days before, I'm not exactly the best planner. However, I was getting to the point where I had to get out of LA and be in nature or I'd crack. So the decision was a no brainier, I called Marisa and told her I'd join her on the road as long as we kept it at a minimal spending level.

I jammed some clothes and a bathing suit in a suitcase, grabbed my camera, a book and my journal. The next morning at 5 am, Marisa drove up from Orange County and we loaded up the Prius (Gwenevere) with the camping gear, cooler, and bags and left LA for a what was to be the best trip ever! (well, one of them at least)

No comments:

Post a Comment